Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mold in Greenhaven John Laing Homes and Unhappy Homeowners?

We have all seen the truck that belongs to a John Laing homeowner, and I am waiting for the opportunity to speak with them regarding their issue with mold in their John Laing Greenhaven home. I also know that there was a FOX News crew cruising the streets of Greenhaven, talking with some residents about their satisfaction with their John Laing Home.

Personally, I am more than a little concerned. Not only am I a John Laing homeowner in Greenhaven, but I am also a REALTOR® that sells hundreds of new homes in Colorado Springs – several of which are John Laing homes. I need to know exactly what is going on.

First and foremost, I am worried that there is a home in Greenhaven, that was professionally tested for toxic mold… and mold was found. (Or, I hope that it was professionally tested by a licensed and certified EPA approved testing facility. Was it? I won't know until I speak with the affected homeowner…) Also, I am concerned that the family is still living in a home where this mold was found. True toxic mold can cause a multitude of irreversible health issues and the first step in avoiding these issues is to move out of the home that has this mold. I feel for this family and hope that measures were taken to correct this problem and that nothing irreversible has occurred.

In August, several D-49 schools were found to contain mold, and this had to be remediated. Mold is actually very common in many parts of Colorado Springs, especially in newer construction where homes can be improperly ventilated. Derek and I had a serious run-in with toxic mold a few years back, and are well aware of all the damage it can wreck on a human and on a property. Read Our Story Here: Our Colorado Springs Real Estate MOLD Story

However, I also understand that (apparently) John Laing did nothing to help these folks? I guess it depends on the exact reason why the mold occurred and if the liability really did rest on the shoulder of the builder. Unfortunately, post-built environmental issues are usually not a builders' responsibility. Although, I do not know the specifics and am not an attorney of any sort, so my observations are just that: observations based on past experience. However, if it WAS builder responsibility, then John Laing should step up and right these wrongs, regardless of the red tape that will need to be sorted through…

*UPDATE* We just spoke with the homeowner and are expecting some more information from them that we can post, here.

Read Also: Colorado Springs Real Estate Issues: Mold - Part Two (The Facts)

Second, I am concerned about the overall satisfaction of the homeowners in Greenhaven. I know from both personal and professional experiences that there are always unhappy homeowners in every neighborhood. I guess Greenhaven is no exception.

The Fox News crew talked with several people and I am just concerned that all they heard was negativity. (Of course, the news thrives on only negativity, so it really does not surprise me…) However, we all live here in Greenhaven and unnecessary bad-press* is only going to hurt us (and our property values) in the long run, so I hope this report gets tempered with a few happy homeowner stories. (*By "bad-press" I am not speaking about the Greenhaven homeowner that is dealing with a mold issue. If there is a mold issue that needs to be dealt with, public awareness is crucial.)

Now, we have been involved (either directly or indirectly) with lawsuits on almost ALL new home builders in Colorado Springs for various reasons. I guess that when hundreds of new homes are being built every year, there is more room for error.

So, I need to ask:

  • What can we do, as a community, to fix the issues that are bothering Greenhaven home owners (us)?
  • What can I do, as your neighborhood real estate agent, to help YOU, the Greenhaven homeowner, be happy (again) with the home that you once fell in love with?

I hope to get the scoop on the mold issue in Greenhaven, and I will post their story here, if they let me. I would also love to hear more about you, the Greenhaven homeowner, regarding your experiences (good or bad) with your John Laing Home.

You can email your stories to: GreenhavenCommunity@gmail.com or you can call us directly at: (719) 570-7715

Sincerely, Your Greenhaven Real Estate Agents through thick and thin: Derek and Mariana Wagner – Wagner iTeam

For the record, all of our personal and professional experiences led us to the decision to buy a John Laing home, as they had the best reputation and highest quality of workmanship compared to the dozens of other builders that "threw homes up" in the Colorado Springs new home boom over the past several years. Of course, every builder has its problems – John Laing just had the least amount of "issues" in our experiences. We were also extremely happy with their customer service and how we were taken care of after the sale.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I followed a newsfeed to your blog and hope you don't mind me sounding into your blog. I own a company in the Denver area that offers high quality mold inspections and non-toxic remediation solutions. (www.CleanEnvironmentPro.com)

First, may I clarify (not criticise) your criteria about the qualifications for mold inspectors in Colorado. First, there is no licensing by the state, second the EPA does not approve mold inspectors; if anything is "approved" or "registered" by the EPA in relationship to mold it is the chemicals used by other remediators to kill mold/microbial growth indoors and by virtue of this "registration or approval" are deemed as toxic. Make sure, however, the inspector is trained/certified by a recognized environmental association such as the National Assoc. for Moisture Management Professionals (NAMM), Indoor Air Quality Association (IAQA) or Environmental Solutions Assoc. (ESA). My company is certified and/or a member of all 3. We also use 3rd party nationally accredited environmental labs to analyze and report on all samples collected.

We can usually work with all parties in such situations as what you have here, although ALL information is held in strict confidence between our company and the client who hires us (unless our client releases such info to other parties).

THe key issue is making sure the air quality it safe even more importantly than what one might see on a surface. knowing the concentrations, species and migration throughout the home are crucial to both the health & wellness of both the inhabitants as well as protecting the structure.

As already mentioned in your posting, mold is not the issue as it is in EVERY building in the world and is necessary for breaking down old biological materials. Elevated levels of certain species inside the living or working space is of concern and only testing can determine issues. THe good news is most mold issues can be permanently and safely eliminated. Be sure to compare your choices!

We are here to serve any needs and answer questions anyone might have. Please, contact us at www.CleanEnvironmentPro.com or call 303-360-MOLD (6653).

Stan Crane, CEO
CMI, CMP, CMPT, CEMR
Clean Environment Pro
www.CleanEnvironmentPro.com
ceo@CleanEnvironmentPro.com
303-360-6653

Greenhaven Community said...

Stan - Thank you for your information. I DO know that there are not state licensing laws, but also know that there are strict criteria to inspect and take care of mold. You guys obviouslt know your stuff.
I will pass along your information to this homeowner and hopefully you can help them with this issue.
Here is their story: http://greenhavencommunity.blogspot.com/2007/11/letter-from-niles-family-regarding.html
Thank you again for your information!

Anonymous said...

The Fox 21 News crew came by my house, and I had nothing but praise for John Laing (and we've had warranty issues) - which made the news crew look a bit disgruntled. Personally, I think some new home owners may not understand the responsibility of the home builder and their warranty. Homes are expensive things to maintain... and it isn't fair to hold a 3rd party responsible for issues out of their control.

Anonymous said...

Conqueress -
First, Thank you for sharing your happiness with FOX - I hope they air your interview.
Like you, I LOVE my John Laing home and although I have had minor issues here and there, John Laing has taken full responsiblity for each item that was (actually) their fault.
As a REALTOR, I still love to sell John Laing homes and promote how awesome they are. Of course, every builder has their hiccups and if this proves to be a JL Hiccup, I hope it gets resolved before it gets out of control.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this information, I along with I'm sure most the neighbors were curious what the whole mold issue is about. This is my second John Laing Home, I have had nothing but wonderful experiences. I feel a lot of times first time homeowners or 1st move up buyers tend to not understand what is and is not their responsibility. It's a lot easier to place blame on others. If you got a flat tire would you call the dealership to replace it? Of course not. But when it comes to purchasing a home everything tends to fall back on the builder. Don't get me wrong, there are issues that the builder should take responsibility for. But there are items homeowners do not maintain. I LOVE Greenhaven, it is a great community with the friendliest people I have ever lived around. I love John Laing Homes. No company is perfect by any means...but I can go to bed at night assured I live in a quality built home that will stand the test of time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Greenhaven Homeowner! Thany you for your comment. I, too, wondered what was going on and look forward to hearing the final outcome.
I love Greenhaven, too! And you are right about the neighbors- It takes a special kind of person to live here.
Merry Christmas!